Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Gear Hack: A handlebar purse

While bike touring I decided that I'd keep all my MVI (most valuable items) in my handlebar bag. That way not only are they handy, they are also easy to grab and take with me whenever I leave my bike, thus keeping them a little more secure (go on, steal my stinky socks, I dare you! But the credit card stays by my side). The only problem is that I have to carry the thing around by hand, which is a little annoying.

So before embarking on my trip I created a handy shoulder strap that could be attached to my bag. My first gear hack! It's simple, it's easy, and it's just common sense - but aren't these the qualities of some of the best things in life?

Steps
  • Buy four feet of webbing off the spool from your favorite gear shop. I prefer webbing over other rope because it's nice and smooth. Cost ~$2.50 Or better yet, if you have something appropriate lying around just use that.
  • Tie ends of webbing together with the secure knot of your choice. I used a fisherman's knot. And by "I" obviously I mean that I had MM do it. He's much more knowledgeable about knots being a climber and all.
  • When in use, loop the webbing through the velcro on the bar bag.
  • When not in use, store inside the bar bag.

So there you have it, just a simple gear hack that any of you intelligent people could have thought up on your own, but something you might want to consider before heading out on a tour. I really did find this to be sooooo useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...